Currently, during lockdown phase, exercise and sleep both play a significant role in life of working individuals. Along with it, you need a healthy diet. As per research on sleep, decrease in performance, brain functions, and hormonal imbalance are only few effects of poor sleep. Improper bedtime patterns can cause weight gain or weight loss and put you at risk of cardiovascular issues. Good sleep is essential for both adults, children, and especially teenagers. When you sleep well, you stay in good mood, which means better exercise and healthier day.
Millions of people around world regularly get poor sleep. The decrease in bedtime quality and quantity is a direct alarm that means you need to change something. Keep reading and you will find out top 10 tips for better sleep quality and quantity.
Basic list of ways to sleep better: –
- Increase Exposure To Bright Light: First thing first, it is essential to keep a natural circadian rhythm. Ensure you have a time-keeping clock. Sleeping on time and waking up as per your chronotype will positively affect your brain, body, and hormones. It will help you stay alert and awake. You can take out sometime to enjoy natural sunlight. Bright light from Sun will help your heart. It also improves our day time energy, and add to night time sleep quality.
- Blue Light Exposure: Next, when it is time of evening, try to limit your blue light exposure. Bright light is good during day time, but night time light can negatively affect your circadian rhythm. Evening time in blue light can reduce hormones like Melatonin. This hormone is one of reason why you get a deep sleep.
– You can wear glasses to block blue light
– Download application like f.lux
– Switch your phone to read mode
– Stop watching NETFLIX or TV at night time.
- Caffeine Vs. Theanine: Although caffeine and theanine has number of benefits, it is presently being used by over 90% U.S population is their daily routine. But only when consumed during day time. Caffeine can enhance your focus and performance. When it is consumed in night time, it works in opposite way and stops your body to naturally relax. One study demonstrated that consuming caffeine any time before going bed can worsened sleep quality. In other words, you should not consume caffeine anywhere between 5-6 hours before your bedtime.
- Long Or Irregular Naps: It is true when you take short naps in your day, they actually increase your productivity. On other hand, long or irregular naps can impact your bedtime cycle in a negative way. Sleeping at irregular intervals can simply confuse your internal clock. This means you will struggle more for a good night’s restful bedtime. In one study, it was found out that sleeping for 20minutes or less can enhance daytime brain function. Also, taking nap at same time each day can improve your overall sleep quality. This brings us to our next way.
- Consistency: Both your body and mind work on circadian rhythms. It is aligned to sunrise and sunset. When you become consistent in your waking time, you naturally develop a deep bedtime during night. In one study it was observed that when employees/working professionals change their sleep pattern during weekend – they often report poor quality of sleep. Irregular sleep patterns can simply alter your heart rhythm, levels of melatonin, and hormones. It is best advised to keep up with regular sleep/wake cycle.
- Melatonin Supplement: If you suffer from poor quality of sleep. Maybe you have irregular sleep patterns – only in such cases melatonin supplement is recommended. It is an extremely popular sleep aid and is often used to treat insomnia. Melatonin supplement is one of easiest ways to get deep sleep. You can take 2 mg of melatonin (always ask your physician) before bed. It can increase your bedtime by 15% and there are no withdrawal effects. It is highly effective to use melatonin during traveling. It helps your body to adjust to new times zone and boost circadian rhythm.
- Other Supplements: Also, there are other supplements which can help you sleep better, for example:
a. Lavender: Powerful herb with multiple health benefits.
b. Magnesium: Improve relaxation
c. L-theanine: Improve bedtime quality
d. Valerian Root: Boost your sleepAll these supplements can help you enhance quality of sleep, boost deep sleep time, and increase energy.
- Alcohol: Say no to alcohol. Even a couple of drinks can put a negative effect on your bedtime. Drinking alcohol increases snoring and disturb sleep patterns. It also decreases HGH (human growth hormone). HGH plays a key role in circadian rhythm and other body functions.
- Bedroom Setting: Moving to more physical forms of hurdles bring up bedroom setting. Thousands of individuals believe that their bedroom is single most influencing factor when it comes to good bedtime routine. Factors like external noise, external light, and furniture arrangement can affect quality of your bedtime. Noise from traffic can trouble your regular bedtime. You can simply optimize your bedroom for better sleep. It is highly recommended to have a ‘darkroom’. Also, it is recommended to have alarm clock, avoid using your smartphone alarm clock.
- Bedroom Temperature: Lastly, it is temperature which profoundly affects our bedtime quality. During summer or if your bedroom temperature is high – it can be very hard to get a good bedtime. Believe it or not! temperature affects sleep quality more than any external noise.
Although virtually list of factors that can affect your lifestyle is endless. Your eating habit can affect your sleep, and your hygiene practice too! Some of basic tips for better and deep sleep quality.